Animal Control

cat rubbing its head against a dog's noseAnimal Control Shelter staff is available to serve you. An appointment must be made to visit the shelter.

Online licensing is now available.

Own a cat or dog? 

All people living in the City of Ellensburg who own a cat or dog that is over 5 months of age must obtain an animal license. Owners must provide proof of current rabies vaccination for the animals when licensing.  Licenses are purchased via cash or check at the Animal Shelter and must be made within 14 days of obtaining the dog or cat. The license is good for one year.  There are a few exceptions: dog guide, guide dog in training, service animal, governmental police dogs; and veterinary clinics, research facilities or similar commercial or institutional entities.


  • Unaltered dog or cat $60
  • Altered dog or cat $10; owners 65+ $5
  • Multiple altered dogs and/or cats (five or more) $40
  • Altered dog or cat with proof of 3 years rabies vaccination, 3-year license $20
  • Duplicate/replacement license $3
  • Kennel/Cattery license $150
  • Pet shop license $150   

History & Service

Through our gates pass some of the most wonderful animals in the world! The City of Ellensburg Animal Shelter was built in 1973. It is a municipal shelter giving refuge for up to 900 dogs and cats per year. We are the only Animal Shelter in Kittitas County. 


Staff is responsible for the following services in Ellensburg city limits:

  • Animal control in Ellensburg city limits
  • Dog and cat licensing within the city limits
  • Education
  • Referrals
  • Sheltering services

The City of Ellensburg Animal Shelter has a very dedicated staff and volunteers who are committed to making the lives of animals better!