The Ellensburg Arts Commission was established in 1980 for the purpose of appropriately advising the city council and staff regarding the furtherance of performing and/or visual arts within the city for the benefit of both the local public and visitors and tourists whom the city desires to attract.
The seven-member Arts Commission is to
- The Arts Commission operates under the authority of Chapter 1.33 of the City Code and its purpose is to:
- Advise, consult, and make recommendations to the City Council on matters pertaining to the performing, literary, and visual arts
- Encourage and promote art activities of individuals, organizations, and government agencies in the City
- Formulate and recommend to Council strategic plans for an arts advancement program for the City
- Provide leadership and advocacy for the arts and artists
- Manage, build, and maintain the city's public art collection
In November 2019, the City Council approved the Ellensburg Arts Commission Arts Policy. It provides the foundation for the mission, vision, core values and focus areas for the work of the Commission (EAC) in addition to Chapter 1.33 of the City of Ellensburg Code.